Explore highlights from the George Eliot collections
The view from the window at Rosehill, by Cara Bray.
This painting shows the view from a window at Rosehill, the home of Charles and Cara Bray
A jacquard loom made in 1845 by Thomas Wilkinson, a Coventry loom maker.
This 8-space jacquard loom was made in 1845 by Thomas Wilkinson, a Coventry loom maker
Interior of St. Michael’s Church, Coventry by David Gee.
This oil painting by David Gee (1793 - 1872) takes as its subject the interior of St Michael's Church, Coventry
A woven silk bookmark depicting a scene from Adam Bede.
A woven silk bookmark depicting a scene from George Eliot's Adam Bede
A Pteridosperm fossil found in the Warwickshire coalfield.
This pteridosperm fossil was found in the Warwickshire coalfield
Needlework Sampler (made by an eleven year old girl in 1813)
This sampler was made by Mary Ann Tidye in 1813 when she was 11 years old
Portable Stationery Cabinet owned by George Eliot.
This portable stationery cabinet belonged to George Eliot
Coventry Town Ribbon
The Coventry Ribbon was woven especially for the 1851 Great Exhibition and was awarded the bronze medal for its quality
Bronze Medal Certificate, awarded at the Coventry & Midland Manufacturing, Industrial & Art Exhibition
This is the certificate of the award of a bronze medal to Joseph Gutteridge as an amateur manufacturer of microscopes
Great Exhibition Prize Medal awarded for the Coventry Ribbon.
Great Exhibition Prize Medal awarded to the Coventry Ribbon Committee for the Coventry Town Ribbon in the 1800s
Quote from Middlemarch
This is a handwritten note which was kept in George Eliot's friend, Cara Bray’s, sewing box
St Michael’s and Holy Trinity Churches from the North East, Coventry by David Gee
Oil painting of St Michael's and Holy Trinity Churches from the North East, Coventry by artist David Gee
A stand microscope created by Joseph Gutteridge, a weaver from Coventry.
This stand microscope was created by Joseph Gutteridge, a weaver from Coventry
‘Coventry from the East’
This oil painting shows a view of Coventry from the East painted in the 19th Century